Living in Stockholm | Sweden Removals
Why Working in Stockholm is Popular With Parents
Being a parent is a wonderful experience, but navigating between childcare, work, school pick-ups and playdates can leave families wrung out. Sweden seems to have found a way to balance the responsibilities of work and childcare more equitably, with the result that it’s considered one of the best countries in the world for raising children.
Many of the movers Schepens helps to relocate to Sweden are working in Stockholm and bringing up a young family at the same time. Lots of them have talked about the child-focused work-life balance as one of the deciding factors when making their decision to move. We asked some of them how easy it is to have a young family and work in Stockholm.
1. I Don’t Have to Apologise For Doing the School Run
Back in the UK I was always having to excuse myself for ‘nipping out’ to pick up my twin girls. It felt shameful, like I hadn’t got my act together. In Stockholm it’s just the opposite. Come 3.30 people are starting to leave their desks for the school run and it’s totally OK. You do the same hours; they’re just flexed to fit in with childcare.
2. Few Families Have Nannies in Stockholm
There’s an expectation in Sweden that you’ll bring your own child up, rather than paying a nanny to do it for you. To make this possible, parents share the responsibility for childcare and employers recognise that you’ll need to work in a certain way. It’s a big relief to me because I didn’t want to get a nanny, but I couldn’t see how to carry on working, otherwise. Now I have a solution.
3. Parental Leave is Amazing
You’re given 480 days parental leave for each child, which can be shared between parents as you wish. Three months are specifically for dads to take and if they’re not used, they’re removed from the allocation. What’s different in Sweden is that it’s completely OK for fathers to take time to be with their children; in fact, it’s expected.
4. I’ve My Child’s Sick I Take a VAB
A VAB is when your child is sick, so you need to take the day off to look after them. You get ‘temporary parental benefits’ for up to 120 days per child, per year. Imagine that! The child benefits come out at around 80% of your salary, so it’s no big deal to take time out to be with your child when they need you.
Schepens Provides Stress-Free Removals to Sweden
Taking some of the stress out of being a parent sounds perfect! At Schepens we’ve made our goal to provide stress-free moving for people needing removals to Stockholm, or any other city in Sweden. As a family-run business, with over 100 years’ experience of moving, we’re more than happy to take the strain from movers by providing excellence at every stage of the process.
Tailored Removals to Stockholm
Whatever the circumstances that have occasioned your move to Stockholm, Schepens will tailor your move to your requirements. Each mover is allocated an experienced move co-ordinator who will create a bespoke removals plan and support you every step of the way.
Schepens removals services include:
- Free No Obligation Quote. As soon as we know the details of your move, we’ll provide you with an accurate removals quote to help with your budgeting.
- Flexible Scheduling. We make regular runs to Sweden each week, which means we can offer flexible scheduling and affordable prices.
- Insurance. Your goods are insured whilst in transit. If you need additional Extended Liability or Accidental Damage cover, we can arrange it.
- Customs. We’re experienced at dealing with customs matters and know the rules and regulations associated with relocating to Sweden.
- Professional Packing Service. Panicking about packing? Leave it to Schepens. Our BAR trained team will complete the job in hours using sturdy and sustainable materials.
- Specialist Removals Team. No matter what you want to take to Stockholm, we can handle it. Our specialist team are experienced movers of pianos, art, and antiques.
- Self Storage. Need storage in the UK? Schepens has a number of local self storage facilities offering a secure, well-managed environment for your goods.
- Transport. Your goods are transported in one of our state-of-the-art removals vehicles which run on air ride suspension and boast an adjustable bearing system, ensuring little or no movement of vehicle content.
Going the Extra Mile for Movers
“Schepens moved us from the UK to Sweden. They were excellent throughout the move, including storing our furniture for over a month. We were always kept up to date and the removal and delivery was as promised. We have no hesitation of recommending them highly. Very professional and helpful company. Nothing was too much trouble.”