Move to Norway | Living in Norway
There are pros and cons to living anywhere, it’s just a case of working out whether, for you, the pros outweigh the cons, or vice versa. Over the years Schepens Removals has helped students, professionals and families move to every part of Norway. Many of them are now settled in the country. When asked they all had equally long lists of pros and cons but said, on balance, that Norway was a great place to live.
Here’s our list of pros and cons of living in Norway, according to movers now settled there:
1. Mail and Parcel Delivery (Con)
Norway is a nightmare for Amazon – which is designed for large cities with a massive population. Norway is just the opposite – small towns, with mountains in the way. But we still want stuff! Parcels do arrive, eventually, but there’s often duty on them if they come from overseas, so it can be a bitter-sweet experience. Letters take ages, too. Normally about a week.
2. Picture-Book Perfect Landscapes (Pro)
I’ve literally never seen anywhere as beautiful as Norway, not even close. The fjords are magnificent, the mountains are terrifying and amazing, and the coast is uncannily wonderful. I feel so lucky living here and, as a family, we take off every weekend to hike or just discover somewhere new.
3. Price Shock When You Arrive (Con)
My partner and I were traumatised by the prices in Oslo for the first couple of months we were here. We hardly bought anything because it was so expensive, especially alcohol. Of course, the wages are equivalent, so eventually you get used to it. For newbies though, bring things with you to get you through those first few weeks of adapting.
4. Rented Accommodation is Amazing (Pro)
If you move to Norway for work, you’ll probably end up in rented accommodation. This can be difficult to find – especially in Oslo – but once you do, you’re in for a treat. Most apartments come fully furnished and they are so clean, comfortable, and stylish! I felt like I was living in a boutique hotel when I first moved into my flat.
5. Weather (Pro and Con)
Winters are dark, especially if you’re living up north, but they make the summers very special. And living through the winter is a part of Norwegian life; people enjoy it. They ski, spend time in each other’s houses, knit, buy loads of candles. Then, in the summer, they party hard throughout the long daylight hours.
6. Everyone Speaks English (Pro)
When I first got here – with just a smattering of Norwegian words – it was a real lifesaver to find that everyone spoke English. It’s taught in schools, so anywhere you go, you can communicate easily. Once I decided to move to Norway for a longer period I did get serious about learning the language – but I always have a safety net if I need it.
Schepens for Stress-Free Scandinavian Removals
We’re a UK-based company that specialises in removals to Norway, Sweden, and Denmark. For over a century now, we’ve been helping movers relocate to locations across the length and breadth of Norway. Because of our long association, we make weekly runs which means we’re able to provide flexible scheduling, affordable pricing and a choice of full or part load shipping.
Tailored Removals to Norway
A move to Scandinavia is quite an upheaval, which is why Schepens is committed to making the logistics as easy as possible. Every mover is allocated a specialist move co-ordinator who knows the country well. They’ll create your tailored removals plan, according to your specific requirements. They’ll also support you through every stage of the moving process.
Schepens removals services include:
- Free No Obligation Removals Quote. As soon as we have the details of your move, we’ll create an accurate removals quote to help with your budgeting.
- Insurance. Your goods will be covered by insurance whilst in transit. If you require additional Extended Liability or Accidental Damage cover, we can arrange it for you.
- Customs Expertise. We’re experienced at dealing with customs matters and know the rules and regulations associated with relocating to Norway.
- Professional Packing Service. Too busy to pack? Leave it to Schepens BAR trained packers. They’ll complete the job in hours, using sturdy, sustainable materials.
- Specialist Removals. Whatever you need to take to Norway, we can help. Our specialist team are experience at moving pianos, art, and antiques overseas.
- Self Storage. If you need UK self storage, Schepens has a number of local storage facilities that provide a secure, well-managed environment for your goods.
- Transport. Your goods are transported in one of our state-of-the-art removals vehicles which run on air ride suspension and boast an adjustable bearing system, ensuring little or no movement of vehicle content.
Removals That Go The Extra Mile
“From the initial contact with Schepens, through the run up and on the day of the move, the Schepens team have been friendly, responsive and have a cool, calm, “no problem” attitude which significantly reduced my stress levels at getting everything organized ahead of my move.
On the day, the Schepens team were polite, careful, and very efficient. I’d happily recommend them to anyone needing a great moving experience!”
– Paul H