Moving to Switzerland | Switzerland Moving Tips | Moving to Switzerland from UK
Whilst Switzerland may not have the beaches or mediterranean climate of some of it’s European neighbours, it remains an attractive destination for UK retirees. This has to do with the stunning mountains, lakes and ski culture. But increasingly it’s also about the extremely high life expectancy experienced in Switzerland, the importance the Swiss place on community, and their emphasis on safety, order and cleanliness.
SPEAK TO US TODAY ON 01794 323558 TO BOOK A NO OBLIGATION REMOVALS QUOTATION ON YOUR MOVE TO SWITZERLAND!
Top Swiss Destinations for UK Retirees
- Zurich – for retirees with who are looking for the trappings of city life, and who have the financial resources to handle sky high rents, Zurich is the location of choice. It’s unrivalled in terms of shopping, dining and cultural life, and the architecture is stunning. Zurich is currently number two in the Mercer Quality of Living Survey, having been pipped to prime position by Vienna.
- Berne – is the seat of the Swiss parliament. It also has such a beautifully preserved medieval old town that it’s been named UNESCO World Heritage Site. Any retirees looking for a taste of ‘old Europe’, with a love of history would feel immediately at home here. The pace of life is slower than in Zurich, with a greater emphasis on quality of life. The city’s central location afford excellent access to the Alps.
- Gimmelwald – if you’re retiring to Switzerland for the quiet serenity of village life – with unparalleled 360° views – then Gimmelwald is the place for you. It’s perched halfway up a mountain, and no traffic is allowed in the centre. This is quintessential ‘slow’ living with a strong emphasis on quality of life. Below the village lies UNESCO world heritage area Jungfrau-Aletsch-Bietschhorn.
The Practicalities of Retiring to Switzerland
If you’re an EU citizen you can live for 3 months in Switzerland without registering. Thereafter, if you’re over 55, you’ll need to register at your local migration office. The Swiss authorities will want assurance that you have sufficient funds to maintain your ongoing life in Switzerland. In order to prove your financial independence, you’ll also need to demonstrate that you have health insurance, including accidental coverage. Your initial residence permit will last for 5 years.
Schepens Can Help With Your Move to Switzerland
We have been moving families to Switzerland for over a hundred years now, and over that time we’ve grown to love this beautiful country. Many of our clients find the thought of an overseas move stressful. Schepens provides a range of services which are designed to relieve the anxieties associated with moving. Additionally, every Schepens client is allocated a dedicated Move Co-ordinator to help you with the day-to-day planning of your move.
Every Move to Switzerland is Different
We know that every move is unique, which is why we don’t believe in standard packages. Instead we work individually with each client to create a customised package, based on the services you need. Your Move Co-ordinator will work through the process with you. We ship to Switzerland regularly which means that we’re able to offer flexible scheduling and full or part load containers.
The services we offer include:
- Packing – our BAR trained professional packers can pack up your home, label all your boxes, and create a detailed inventory for shipping.
- Insurance – Schepens insures your goods throughout shipping. Should you want additional Accidental Damage or Extended Liability, we can arrange cover.
- Storage – should you need to store any furniture or goods in the UK, Schepens can provide local secure storage facilities. We provide a door-to-door service and a range of container sizes.
- Removals Vehicles – Your goods will be shipped in one of our state-of-the-art removals vehicles which maintain a constant temperature and humidity, run on air ride suspension and boast an adjustable bearing system, which ensures little or no movement of vehicle content.
Second-to-None Customer Service
We pride ourselves on providing a personalised service for every single client retiring to Switzerland. Our removals team will have a knowledge of your destination, and every employee has been trained to understand the importance of working intelligently and proactively to support clients at every stage of their move to Switzerland.