Moving to New Zealand | International Movers | New Zealand Removals
Retiring to New Zealand with Schepens
If you’ve ever been to New Zealand, chances are that the thought of retiring there has crossed your mind. Known for its stunning beauty, moderate climate, adventurous activities and laid-back lifestyle – New Zealand is an ideal location to retire to. Surveys show that the older generation in the country reports the highest levels of happiness and contentment, with a better than average sense of well-being derived from their way of life. For many British retirees, the thought of spending their twilight years in New Zealand is something that is just too good to resist.
Schepens has been helping families retiring to New Zealand for decades. Let’s take a look at some of the things you’ll need to consider before making the move.
Choosing Where to Live
The first thing to consider living in New Zealand is whether you want to live in the city or in the country. Like almost everywhere else in the world, living in the country is less expensive than city life. Retirees, who are on a fixed income, find their money buys more if they live on the outskirts of a metropolitan area or in the countryside. The less expensive places to retire in New Zealand are Rotorua, Napier/Hastings, Whangarei, Palmerston North, Tauranga, and New Plymouth – where there is good access to healthcare, shops and social activities.
In 2010, New Zealand introduced a retirement visa with an aim to allow easier access for expats entering the country. The visa in the category ‘retirement’, is open to those who are aged 65 and over. This takes form of either a parent retirement visa (those who have family in the country) or a temporary retirement visa (for those who have no existing relationship in New Zealand. The temporary visa offers a 2 year permit for British retirees, provided they invest in the country.
Cost of Living in New Zealand
For two people retiring, the cost of living in New Zealand ranges from about NZ$ 3,000 to NZ$ 5,000 per month.
- Rent: NZ$1,560 to NZ$3,300 per month
- Petrol: NZ$2.21 per liter (cost depends distance driver and vehicle’s mileage).
- Food: NZ$1,000 per person per month (eat at home). Add NZ$500 per person if you go out to eat.
- Utilities: (gas heating, electricity, water) – NZ$253 to NZ$506
- Internet Connection: NZ$73
These costings cited here obviously fluctuate and are dependent on the relative value of sterling.
Requirements for Retiring to New Zealand
The financial requirements for temporary visas are notably high. With consideration to the exchange rates, you’ll need approximately £375,000 in investments as well as £250,000 maintenance funds to qualify. Nonetheless, although retiring to New Zealand is initially expensive, once you’re settled, the cost of living is comparable to the United Kingdom.
Speak to us today on 01794 323558 to book a no obligation removals quotation from our New Zealand move co-ordinators.
Tailored International Removals
Every one of our retirees planning removals to New Zealand has a unique criteria of needs. We haven’t yet encountered a standard move, which is why we don’t offer standard removals packages. Instead, we allocate dedicated Move Co-ordinators who work with you to develop a tailored removals plan based on specific requirements.
We provide a range of international removals services which include:
- Professional Packers. Our BAR trained removals teams can pack up your home, label all your boxes and create a detailed inventory for shipping.
- Insurance. Your goods are covered during the process of shipping. Should you wish additional Accidental Damage, or Extended Liability Cover, we can arrange it for you.
- Non-Standard Goods. If you’re planning to ship any valuable items such as antique furniture, works of art, or musical instruments, we can arrange bespoke packing and handling.
- Self Storage. Should you need self storage for goods or furniture in the UK, Schepens have local storage facilities. We offer a door-to-door service and a secure environment.
- Transport. Your goods will be shipped in one of our state-of-the-art removals vehicles which run on air ride suspension and boast an adjustable bearing system, which ensures little or no movement of vehicle content.
Second-to-None Customer Service
We’re a 4th generation international removals company that’s been moving clients to New Zealand for over a century! We ship regularly to this beautiful location which means that we’re able to offer clients flexible scheduling. Our volume of traffic to this part of the world also allows us to offer dedicated, or part load shipping. Our goal has always been to provide stress-free removals for all our clients – especially if they’re travelling somewhere as far away as New Zealand.