Moving to Switzerland | Removals to Switzerland| Schepens
Anticipating Relocation to Switzerland
At Schepens we occasionally get calls from clients telling us they’re being transferred to Geneva. Or maybe their partner’s just announced that there’s an opportunity too good to miss in Zurich. Adjusting to news like this takes a while, however great the location, and our clients describe mood swings veering between excitement and despair.
Most common is a sense mingled delight and fear at what it will be like to live in a new country, with a very different culture. People we’ve helped with removals to Switzerland tell us that it’s all too easy to stay in the comfort zone of the expat community when you make a big move. Whereas embracing your new culture, and enjoying what makes it so different, may be uncomfortable, but it’s a much richer experience.
Here are 5 tips on making the most of your relocation to Switzerland:
1. Make It Feel Like Home From the Start
Whether you end up living in Zurich, Geneva, Berne, or Basel, try to adopt it as your new home straight away. Even if you’re only staying for a matter of months, committing to a new country is a great way to scrape below the surface, and find out more about where you’re living. All it takes is buying some plants for the garden, or shopping locally to start feeling like it’s home.
2. Try not to Get Annoyed With Sunday Closing.
Yes, you heard it right, the majority of shops are shut on Sundays. So what do the Swiss do instead of shopping? Each city has its own preoccupations but mostly it’s a day to spend with your family, doing the things you enjoy together – like hiking, fishing, sailing. In winter there’s winter sports, and local skating, or simply enjoying being warm and cosy in your home with friends.
3. Start Learning the Language
Dependent on where you live, the dominant language could be German, French or Italian. Whichever it is, try to get a few basic lessons in before you move. Don’t worry about being a fluent speaker – most Swiss speak perfect English – this is about ‘breaking the ice’ and feeling like you’re part of a community.
4. Work at Making Swiss Friends
It’s no secret that the Swiss are a reserved people, who respect the privacy of others. This can look very much like unfriendliness to vulnerable newcomers, we’re told, so you may need to develop a thick skin. Expats tell us that there’s no point waiting for a dinner, or even coffee, invite. So take the plunge and do the inviting yourself, or ask if you can tag along on a Sunday hike!
5. Explore on Foot
The Swiss public transport system is most probably the best in the world. There’s excellent coverage, it’s efficient, and the transport is well maintained. So why would you ever walk? Getting out of the bubble of your car, train or your expat life in Switzerland can be a tough ask in a new country. So make a rule for yourself about walking somewhere new every day.
SPEAK TO US TODAY ON 01794 323558 TO BOOK A NO OBLIGATION REMOVALS QUOTATION ON YOUR MOVE TO SWITZERLAND!
Schepens Provides Removals to Switzerland
We’re a 4th generation family moving business and we have decades of experience relocating professionals and their families to Switzerland. Our aim is always to remove the stresses associated with moving to a new country. We do this by offering support throughout the moving process, from a detailed initial quote, through to packing and shipping your goods.
Tailored Relocation to Switzerland Services
Every relocation we’ve supported has been entirely unique – which is why we don’t offer standard removals packages. Instead we allocate a Move Co-ordinator to every single client. They will work with you on the creation of a removals plan, tailored to your specific requirements.
Schepens removals services include:
- Packing. We can provide a professional packing service. Our removals teams use robust, durable packing materials, provide detailed labelling of boxes, and draw up a detailed shipping inventory.
- Insurance. Your shipped goods will be insured during transit. Should you require additional Extended Liability, or Accidental Damage insurance cover, your Move Co-ordinator will arrange this for you.
- Non-Standard Goods. If you plan to ship valuable, or fragile goods, we can arrange for specialist bespoke packaging, handling and shipping to ensure their safety in transit.
- Self Storage. Dependent on the length of your relocation to Switzerland, you may wish to store furniture or goods locally. Schepens offers local self storage facilities. We provide a door-to-door service, and a secure, climate controlled storage environment.
- Transport. Your goods will be shipped in one of our state-of-the-art removals vehicles which maintain a constant temperature and humidity, run on air ride suspension and boast an adjustable bearing system, which ensures little or no movement of vehicle content.
Excellent Customer Service From Schepens
We’ve been one of the UK’s leading European removals companies for years now, and we take great pride in the reputation we’ve grown in that time. Thanks to our professional removals teams our clients report that moving with Schepens is a ‘1st rate experience’. What makes it so? Feedback tells us that it’s down to our ‘attention to detail’, ‘proactive problem solving’ and ‘going the extra mile when needed’.