International Removals | International Removals UK to USA
Moving to USA from UK Checklist
Whether you’re relocating to Silicon Valley for work, or looking for adventure and a new start in New York, the USA is an exciting destination. If you’ve grown up in the UK, the USA has probably never felt that far away, and getting off the plane will always feel a bit like stepping onto a movie set. Each of the 50 states offers a different culture and range of opportunities in a country that’s at the heart of global trade and politics.
Schepens International Removals has been helping families and business professionals move to America for over a century now. We’ve worked on the East Coast, the West Coast and everywhere in-between and it always delights us to discover a little bit more about this endlessly diverse country.
Speak to us today on 01794 323558 for a no obligation removals quote on your removals from the UK to the USA.
Preparing for UK to USA Removals
Clients preparing to move to the USA tend to find the logistics of the move slightly overwhelming. That’s why we allocate a dedicated Move Co-ordinator to each of our clients. They will provide an accurate and detailed no obligation quotation for your international removals. They’ll also be there to help with planning, organisation and providing a series of checklists to work through.
We thought it might be helpful to share 2 of our Moving to America checklists:
1. Must Have Basics
Once you land in the US, there’ll be a whole load of things that need to be managed.
These are the items that will make that process easier:
- Personal Documents: In order to rent, work, open a bank account you’ll need: passport, driver’s license, marriage certificate, birth certificate, adoption certificate, academic qualifications, insurance documents, bank statements, immunisation records, shipping documents. Make sure you have all these, and apply for copies in good time if you don’t.
- Passport: Make sure you have at least 6 months before the expiry date. If you don’t, apply for a new passport allowing yourself plenty of time before your move.
- Driver’s License: Make sure this is up to date, and has your last UK address on it. Your US license will be issued by the state you move to, following identification, and a computer learner permit test.
- Adaptors: Make sure you pack plenty of adaptors so that your British goods are up and running when you land.
- Cash: From the moment you arrive, you’ll need hard currency for taxis and tipping. Order dollars prior to travel to ensure you get the best exchange rates.
2. Financial Basics
- Bank Account: There are plenty of ways to do this before you travel to the US.
- Request a Credit Reference: This is a useful document to have when renting a home.
- Find Out About SWIFT: Find out what the SWIFT code is for your UK bank account. This allows you to transfer funds from your UK to your US account.
- Get Your US Tax Documents: The IRS website will provide the forms you need to fill out as a foreigner.
- Advise HMRC That You’re Moving Abroad: Make sure that you’re up to date with any outstanding tax payments, and let the tax office know where to find you.
Tailored International Removals
At Schepens we know that every single move is different, which is why we don’t offer standard packages. Instead, your Move Co-ordinator will prepare a detailed no obligation quotation for your UK to USA removals based on your specific requirements. We have a range of services we offer to clients, including:
- Packing: Our BAR trained removals teams can pack the contents of your house for you, label all your boxes and create a detailed inventory for shipping.
- Insurance: We cover all your goods during shipping. Should you require Accidental Damage or Extended Liability insurance, we will arrange additional cover.
- Non-Standard Goods: If you’re thinking of shipping something that’s particularly valuable, fragile, or sensitive to changing temperatures, we can arrange bespoke packaging and shipping.
- Self Storage: Schepens provides high quality local storage facilities for any items you need to leave behind. We offer door-to-door service, packing assistance and a climate-controlled, secure environment.
- Transport: Your goods will be shipped in one of our state-of-the-art removals vehicles which maintain a constant temperature and humidity, run on air ride suspension and boast an adjustable bearing system, which ensures little or no movement of vehicle content.
Excellent Customer Service From Schepens
Our job is to make UK to USA removals as efficient, straightforward and anxiety-free as possible. We take our responsibilities extremely seriously, which is why all our employees are carefully trained in their role as removals professionals. We’ll always go the extra mile for our clients, and work proactively to overcome challenges should they arise.