Moving to Philadelphia
Over the past few decades, Philadelphia has tended to be overshadowed by its East Coast neighbours, New York and Washington. Now, however, residents say that the age of the underdog is over, and that the city that saved the Liberty Bell is finally coming into its own. It’s now a top study destination for students, and a favoured business location for millennials. The city’s arts, cuisine and culture currently attracts over 40 million tourists each year.
If you’re moving to Philadephia, you’ll want to know what it’s like to live in this cosmopolitan city. Schepens is a leading provider of removals to the city, so we asked some of our former clients how they find day-to-day life in Philly. Here’s what they told us.
1. It’s a Plugged In City
We may not be the superstar of the East Coast but we’re plugged in to all the major hubs. New York and Washington are under 3 hours away. The advantage is that you can enjoy all the benefits of these cities, and drive away at the end of the day. Philly’s a great city to live in with first class culture provided by the Museum of Art and a whole range of theatre and music venues in Broad Street.
2. A City of Surprises
Having lived in Philadelphia, I’ll never be short of dinner-party anecdotes. Edgar Allan Poe spent a year in the city and I’ve explored Poe’s house, including the cellar that inspired The Black Cat. I’ve also seen a sliver of Einstein’s brain at the Mütter Museum of medical oddities, and visited the world’s first ‘penitentiary’.
3. It’s the Cheapest Option on the East Coast
The cost of housing in Philadephia is substantially cheaper than in New York or Washington. For movers arriving from the UK, you’ll also be pleased to find rents are a third cheaper than in London! And once you find out where the local markets are, and which restaurants offer specials on certain days, this is a city where you can live pretty cheaply without being abstemious.
4. Plenty of Green Spaces to Enjoy
Philly’s a city of skyscrapers but it’s also home to some beautiful parks and green spaces. Fairmount Park is split in half by the Schuylkill River. It’s one of the world’s largest parks and it’s full of things to discover. There’s the Japanese Garden, loads of sculptures and statues, woodland and the USA’s first zoo! It’s now used as a centre for breeding rare animals.
Schepens Provides Removals to Philadelphia
Schepens is a 4th generation, family-run business that’s been providing removals to Philadelphia for over 100 years. We take pride in having built a reputation for being one of the leading providers of international removals to and from the USA. We regularly travel to destinations in Pennsylvania which means that we’re able to offer flexible scheduling and full or part loads for shipping.
Tailored Removals to the US
In all the years we’ve been helping families and businesses to relocate, we’ve never come across a ‘standard’ move. In our experience, all removals are unique. That’s why we allocate a Moving Co-ordinator to each client. They work to develop a tailored removals plan in response to your specific requirements. Our FREE no obligation quote is always based on this plan for the sake of accuracy.
Schepens removals services include:
- Professional Packing Services. Our trained removals teams can pack up your home for you, label all your boxes, and develop a detailed shipping inventory.
- Insurance. Your shipped items will be insured during transit. Should you require additional Accidental Damage, or Extended Liability insurance, we can arrange cover.
- Non-Standard Goods. If you want to ship a piano, artwork or antique to Philadelphia, we can arrange bespoke packaging, handling and shipping.
- Self Storage. Should you need to store items in the UK, Schepens can provide first-class storage facilities. We offer a door-to-door service and a secure, climate-controlled environment.
- Transport. Your goods will be shipped in one of our state-of-the-art removals vehicles which maintain a constant temperature and humidity, run on air ride suspension and boast an adjustable bearing system, which ensures little or no movement of vehicle content.
Stress-Free International Removals
For over a century we’ve been delivering stress-free international removals to clients across the world. We achieve this by training all our employees to the highest industry standards. This means that our removals teams work proactively to manage any issues that arise, and are always willing to go the extra mile to help clients out.