Removals New York | International Removals
Moving to New York? Schepens Can Help.
Moving to New York has the ‘WOW’ factor. Just say the name and a thousand images, songs and scraps of narrative flash across the brain. Making the leap from legendary city to the place you live and work in can take a period of adjustment. Many of the clients we’ve moved ‘over the pond’ tell us that it’s taken them months to stop feeling like they’re living in a film, and start treating the place like home!
Over the years Schepens has helped hundreds of UK families settle into their New York homes. Many of them have passed on tips for movers coming after them. We thought we’d share a few of them:
1. New Yorkers Say It How It Is
We hear this over and over. For the Brits it comes as quite a shock to be confronted with New Yorkers who speak loudly and forthrightly, not worrying who can overhear the conversation. For the first few weeks this can feel downright rude and unpleasant (New Yorkers don’t smile as much as the Brits do either), but after a while the directness ceases to be off-putting, and becomes a refreshing change.
2. The Winters are Really Cold
So much of New York seems familiar, but the biting cold of a snowy February day usually comes as an unpleasant surprise. Whilst the temperatures aren’t too dissimilar to the UK, the chilly winds and snowfall combined makes the city an inhospitable place throughout the winter months. The advice is to pack plenty of winter clothes!
3. Be Prepared to Downsize
Space is at a premium if you plan to live in the city. Be aware of this as you decide what to pack. Clients moving to New York often talk to us about the sheer numbers of people living and working in the confined space of the city. The recommended finding favourite quiet spaces that you can retreat to daily, whether it’s a park, a spa, or a favourite cafe.
4. Tipping is Expected
In the UK we tip to reward good service, but in New York the culture is entirely different. Tipping is factored into wages in the service industry. If you don’t tip, your waiter isn’t paid for serving you. For restaurants, taxis, and hairdressers the average is 15-20%. In bars you should expect to tip $1 per drink. For porters it’s $1 per bag, and if they call you a taxi, that’s another dollar.
5. Don’t Drink Too Much
After growing up with strict alcohol measures in the UK, heading into a bar in New York can feel like being let loose in a sweet shop. Bars in New York don’t use standard measures – especially in cocktails – and the better you tip, the stronger your drinks. It wears off after a while, but early days in New York can be spent in something of a haze!
Speak to us today on 01794 323558 for a no obligation removals quote on your move to New York.
Schepens Provide International Removals to New York
We’re a 4th generation, family run business and we’ve been offering removals to New York for over 100 years now. We’ve seen the city change a good deal in that time, but our clients have always had the same kinds of concerns, and felt the same degree of stress at the thought of making an international move. We pride ourselves on being able to provide stress-free moves, because we offer experienced, professional support at every stage of the process.
Tailored Removals to New York
In the course of hundreds of moves to every corner of New York City, we’ve never yet encountered a ‘standard’ move. That’s why we don’t offer standard removals packages. Instead, we allocate a dedicated Move Co-ordinator who’ll work with you to create a removals plan that’s specific to your unique requirements.
Our removals services include:
- Packing. Our BAR trained professional packers are highly proficient when it comes to packing up your home, labelling your boxes, and keeping a detailed inventory for shipping.
- Insurance. We insure your goods throughout the shipping process. Should you require additional cover for Accidental Damage, or Extended Liability, we can arrange this for you.
- Non-Standard Goods. We’re experts when it comes to moving antiques, or fine art. We offer bespoke packaging, handling and shipping for non-standard items.
- Self Storage. If you’re moving to New York, you may need to store furniture and goods back in the UK. Schepens has secure, climate controlled local storage facilities, with a door-to-door service.
- Transport. Your goods will be shipped in one of our state-of-the-art removals vehicles which maintain a constant temperature and humidity, run on air ride suspension and boast an adjustable bearing system, which ensures little or no movement of vehicle content.
First Class Customer Service if You’re Moving to New York
Some of our clients feel overwhelmed at the thought of international removals, others are old hands. Whatever your experience, we’ll tailor our customer service to your needs. Our professional removals teams are practised at providing proactive support should problems arise. And we have a reputation for always being prepared to ‘go the extra mile’, if we can see a way to make our clients’ lives easier.