International Removals to France | Moving to France | UK to France Removal Company
A Moving to France Checklist From Schepens
It’s just 31 miles between Dover and Calais, hardly anything at all. Yet we find that for clients preparing to move from the UK to France it can feel more like a million miles. Transporting your life from one country to another is a major undertaking, especially if your French is a bit rusty.
At Schepens we allocate dedicated Move Co-ordinators to all our clients making a European move. One of the many services they offer is the creation of a tailored checklist in preparation for moving abroad. Its aim is to turn anxieties into easy steps that can be dealt with methodically, and ticked off one by one.
Moving to France Checklist
1. Create Your Document Database
Every move brings uncertainty in its wake, but one thing you can be sure of is that you’ll need copies of key documentation. Create your own paper storage system of multiple copies of the following:
- Birth certificate
- Marriage certificate (if applicable)
- Medical documents
- Educational qualifications
- Banking and financial documents
- UK tax documents
- Driving license and vehicle documentation
There are probably others that are specific to you. Make copies methodically and tick them off one-by-one.
2. Register With the French Authorities
You’ve got 3 months to do this, but it’s best to get the process started early as as there can be delays. You’ll need to register with the Office Français de l‘Immigration et de l’Intégration (OFII), and you’ll then be called in for an interview and a medical – take your documentation with you!
3. Health Insurance
Everyone living in France is required to take out French health insurance, or social security. In order to check your eligibility, you’ll need to register with CPAM (Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie). Many people are now topping up the state insurance with personal health insurance.
4. Open a French Bank Account
Having a French bank account will make it a whole lot easier to integrate immediately into your new home culture. It is now possible to set up a French bank account before you’ve actually made the move. Your current bank should be able to help with this.
5. Phone and Internet
Check whether your phone is GSM-enabled, as this is the network used by all French operators. If it is, you may want to purchase a French SIM card and number to avoid be charged higher rates when calling. If your phone isn’t GSM-enabled it’s worth thinking about getting a new phone once you’re moved.
6. Make a List of French Emergency Numbers
These are crucial to your well-being in your new home, and they work to a different logic from their British counterparts. Put aside an hour to work your way through the French emergency numbers, and make a list of the most important ones. Best to keep a copy on your phone and on paper.
SPEAK TO US TODAY ON 01794 323558 TO BOOK A NO OBLIGATION QUOTATION ON YOUR MOVE TO FRANCE!
Schepens are an Experienced European Removal Company
Schepens is a 4th generation family business, and we’ve been moving families to France for over a century now. We ship extremely regularly to almost every region in France and we thoroughly enjoy the frequency of our visits there. This means that we’re able to offer flexible scheduling to clients, and the choice of dedicated or part load shipping.
Tailored Removals to France
We’ve carried out thousands of removals to France but we’ve never yet encountered a ‘standard’ move. Which is why we don’t offer standard removals packages. Instead our Move Co-Ordinators work with clients to discover their specific requirements, and create a removals plan based on them.
We offer a range of removals services, which include:
- Packing. Our BAR trained professional removals teams will pack up your home, label your boxes, and create a detailed inventory in preparation for shipping
- Insurance. Your goods are insured whilst in transit. Should you require additional cover in the form of Accidental Damage, or Extended Liability, we can arrange it.
- Non Standard Goods. Should you wish to transport antique furniture, fine art or even a large musical instrument, Schepens can arrange bespoke packing and handling
- Self Storage. If you need to store items or furniture locally in the UK, Schepens have self storage facilities. We offer a door-to-door service and a secure environment.
- Transport. Your goods will be shipped in one of our state-of-the-art removals vehicles which run on air ride suspension and boast an adjustable bearing system, which ensures little or no movement of vehicle content.
“A week on from our furniture delivery here in France we have finished unpacking! Everything arrived with no breakages or mishaps. Please pass on our special thanks to Baz and Perry who were simply superb. Kind regards Kit – Chandlers ford, Southampton, to the south of France”
Second-to-None Customer Service
It matters to us that Schepens clients experience stress free removals to France. To this end, we ensure that our staff are all professionally trained to be proactive problem solvers. We ensure that we do all we can to support clients at every stage of the process, and – most important – we’re always ready to go the extra mile for clients.
We service all of France
Schepens run removals to and from all major towns, cities and areas of France including: Paris, Dordogne, Languedoc, Charente, Bordeaux, Limoges, Toulouse, Nice, Lyon, Brittany, The Alps, Perpignan, Montpellier, Normandy, Marseilles, Lille, Loire, Rouen, Nancy, Dijon, Nantes, Brest, Grenoble, Burgundy, Valence, Toulon, Provence and many more. We also regularly perform removals to Versailles from the UK.