Moving to Berlin | Germany Removals | European Removals
Schepens Can Help if You’re Moving to Berlin
Over the past 3 years Berlin has become one to the top cities in Europe for Brits to move to. In 2018 Berlin became home to 15,898 expats, making it host to the the largest British community across Germany. Numbers are up 40% from before 2016, and the majority of relocations are working age professionals and families who are looking to find work and settle down in the city.
Berlin is a city with a turbulent historical past, and a contemporary reputation for green politics, the arts, and a cheap cost of living. It’s one of Europe’s ‘melting pot’ capitals with over 600,000 of the city’s population being made up of people Who’ve moved to the city from elsewhere. For all these reasons, it’s a buzzing city brimming with cultural diversity.
Speak to us today on 01794 323558 for a no obligation removals quote on your move to Germany.
Where to Live in Berlin
Housing has a reputation for being cheap in Berlin. It’s getting more expensive but it’s still cheaper than London. So, where to live in Berlin? The city is divided into 12 neighbourhoods, each with a different feel. Here are the 4 most popular with expats:
- Prenzlauer Berg – this is the place that families with young children tend to favour. It’s safe, clean and there are lots of parks. There’s also a growing number of vegan and healthfood shops/cafes.
- Kreuzberg – this is where the students and artists hang out. It’s a cool, diverse neighbourhood where you can still rent cheaply and there are hundreds of bars, clubs and restaurants to hang out in.
- Charlottenburg – this is a solidly middle-class area of Berlin that sits in the heart of what was once West Berlin. This is where you’ll find the designer brands and top class restaurants. It’s also home to the famous Kantstraße with hundreds of Asian restaurants.
- Friedrichshain – there’s still affordable housing to be found here, and no end of hipster cafes, bars, restaurants and shops. It’s seen as a hub for newcomers to Berlin who are trying to find out what the city has to offer.
Visa and Residence Permits
Members of the EU can live and work in Berlin for 3 months without a visa. Shortly after arriving in the city you’ll need to register your address at the Bürgeramt. This requires you to produce your passport, your rental agreement and a registration form. Once you have work you can apply for a certificate of residence in Germany – this lasts indefinitely.
The healthcare system in Germany is considered to be one of the best in the world. Expats are able to access all its resources so long as they have mandatory health insurance. It’s a good idea to get this sorted out early as you’ll need to prove you have it to apply for your residency permit. You can opt for a state insurance, or for private insurance.
Schepens Provide Removals to Germany
Schepens has been providing removals to Germany for over 100 years now. We know the city well, and we ship to Berlin regularly. Because of this we’re able to offer flexible shipping to align with your date of departure, and you can opt for full or shared container shipping, dependent upon your requirements, and your budget!
Bespoke Removals to Berlin
Moving to Berlin is a very different prospect to moving within the UK. We know that it’s a logistical challenge which is why we allocate a dedicated Move Co-ordinator to each client. They will help you to schedule, decide on the services you require, and keep you on track.
Because no two moves are the same, we no longer offer standard removals packages. Instead we ask you to tell us what your requirements are so that we can create a bespoke removals package to suit your needs. We offer a range of services, including:
- Packing – our BAR trained professional packers can pack up your home, carefully label each box and create a detailed inventory.
- Insurance – your goods will be insured during transit. Should you require additional Accidental Damage or Extended Liability cover, we can provide this.
- Non-Standard Goods – if you’re planning to move musical instruments, fragile antiques or fine art, we can arrange bespoke packaging and shipping.
- Storage – if you want to store goods or furniture in the UK, Schepens provides secure, local storage facilities. We offer a flexible door-to-door service.
- Removals Vehicles – Your goods will be shipped in one of our state-of-the-art removals vehicles which maintain a constant temperature and humidity, run on air ride suspension and boast an adjustable bearing system, which ensures little or no movement of vehicle content.
Second-to-None Customer Service
We take pride in the level of service offered by every member of our professional removals teams. Client feedback tells us that our service is “first class”, “excellent and professional” and “warm and friendly”. Every team member knows that Schepens removals ‘go the extra mile’, ‘take the sting out of moving’ and ‘work proactively to make moving easier for clients’.
Schepens perform removals to and from all major towns, cities and areas of Germany including: Berlin, Hamburg, Munich, Cologne, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Dusseldorf, Dortmund, Essen, Bremen, Dresden, Leipzig and Hanover.