Removals to Netherlands | Relocating to Holland
Planning a Move to Holland?
Are you moving to Holland, or to the Netherlands? And will the people you meet there be ‘Netherlanders’ or Dutch? Is it OK to refer to the country as Holland? Does being referred to a ‘Dutch’ offend people? Don’t worry if you’re confused; it’s a confusing topic.
Holland refers to part of the country situated in the north – which happens to be the most densely populated. The Netherlands refers to the whole country. People living in all areas of the Netherlands refer to themselves as Dutch. And Holland is a perfectly fine abbreviation to use when referring to the Netherlands.
Schepens Helps Families Move to Holland
At Schepens we’ve been helping families move to Holland for over a century, and we find the Netherlands a delightful country to work in. As a UK-based European removals company, though, we’re always providing removals to Holland, or from the Netherlands to the UK, rather than living there. So we wondered what it was like to live in Amsterdam, the Hague, or Rotterdam. So we asked some of our expat movers to tell us what it’s like living day-to-day in Holland.
1. The Dutch are Great People
It may take a while to get to know your Dutch neighbours, but once you do you’ll most probably find friends for life. They often appear quite ‘buttoned up’ but that’s just a facade. Once you break through the outer shell you’ll find a wonderfully dry sense of humour, huge generosity, and an openness which allows you to be who you are without judging you. Learning a bit of Dutch is really useful as a way of breaking the ice!
2. Boats are for Relaxing
The Brits love a sunny meadow for a picnic; the Dutch love a moving boat for a meal with friends. There are waterways everywhere in Holland and much of your social life is likely to be bound up with boats and boating – which is strange for many expats to get used to. There’s also a number of festivals linked to the canals such as Amsterdam’s Grachenfestival.
3. Rotterdam is a Dynamic Place to Live
Rotterdam is one of the biggest ports in the world, so you’d expect it to be lively and diverse. But it’s channelled its creative energy into new architecture, contemporary design, and an amazingly aspirational vibe. It feels like a very hopeful city to live in because there’s transformation happening everywhere. The old, grey city buildings have been turned into cool bars, homes and restaurants – people really want to live here now.
4. ‘Don’t Talk About It; Do It’
The attitude of the Dutch is far more forthright than in the UK. Instead of sitting around chatting about what you’d like to do, they want to know why you’re talking about it instead of doing it. This can be a bit startling to start out. But once you get used to it you see that the Dutch really care, and are curious about each other. It’s one of the things I’d really miss if I moved back to the UK.
Tailored Removals to Holland
Planning a move to Holland isn’t simple, and it always feels like a unique experience to the people involved. That’s why Schepens doesn’t offer ‘standard removals’. Instead we allocate a Moving Co-ordinator to each mover to help them develop a tailored removals plan specific to their requirements. Once complete, this will form the basis of a FREE no obligation quotation.
Schepens removals to Holland services include:
- Flexible Scheduling. We travel to Holland several times a week. This means that we’re able to offer flexible scheduling to movers. We can also offer full or part load shipping containers, dependent on the size of your move.
- Professional Packing Service. If packing up your house sends your stomach queasy, let our industry trained professional packers do it for you. They’ll complete the job in hours, label all your boxes, and create a detailed shipping inventory.
- Insurance. All your items are insured whilst in transit. For peace of mind, many movers request additional Accidental Damage, or Extended Liability insurance. Your Move Co-ordinator can arrange cover.
- Specialist Removals. If you want to take a piano to Holland with you, antique furniture, or fine art, Schepens can help. Our specialist removals team will carry out a detailed assessment and provide specialist packaging, handling and shipping.
- Self Storage. Should you require self storage for furniture or items in the UK, Schepens has a number of local self storage depots. We provide a door-to-door service, and a secure, climate-controlled environment.
- Transport. Your goods will be shipped in one of our state-of-the-art removals vehicles which maintain a constant temperature and humidity, run on air ride suspension and boast an adjustable bearing system, which ensures little or no movement of vehicle content.
Second-to-None Customer Service
Schepens is a 4th generation, family-run removals company that’s been providing ‘stress-free’ removals for over 100 years. In that time we’ve built a reputation for great customer service, and excellent removals teams. All our employees are industry trained, making them confident, proactive problem solvers who are happy to go the extra mile for movers.
“We wanted to say that it has been a pleasure dealing with Schepens from start to finish! Everyone has been so helpful, and certainly made the move less stressful, the men arrived on time, packed up with no problem, they were so quick, but careful and thoughtful too.”