Moving to Zurich | Zurich Removals | Relocating to Zurich
Living in Zurich
Zurich is Switzerland’s largest city, and home to Europe’s most glamorous – and expensive – shopping street, the Bahnhofstrasse. It’s also home a many international company headquarters, including Nestlé, Glencore and Jaeger, making it a truly multicultural hub. And right at the heart of this financial powerhouse of a city is a beautifully preserved medieval Zurich, making the bridge between past and present.
Schepens has been moving families, businesses and professionals to Zurich for over a century now and we travel there regularly. It’s always a delight to work in Switzerland, but that’s very different from living there. We asked some clients who have settled in the city what living in Zurich is like, day-to-day. Here’s what they told us.
1. You Need to Rethink Shopping in Zurich
I thought I was coming to the shopping capital of Europe when I moved to Zurich, and in a way it is. But shopping is a different kind of activity for the Swiss. There isn’t the same desire to ‘shop till you drop’ as we have back in the UK. Everything is very expensive, and very good quality. So you plan your purchases carefully, and enjoy owning beautiful things. Oh, and everything is closed on Sundays!
2. Exercise is in the DNA of the Swiss
When I arrived in Zurich I didn’t think of myself as someone looking for a healthy lifestyle, or concerned about ‘wellness’. And that’s how I continued – for a while. Then it started to get to me; the clean air, the great climate, the beautiful landscape. I began to want to take a walk, go for a hike, or think about taking up an outdoor sport. Now I feel properly Swiss – and much healthier.
3. Hidden Zurich
For the first few months of living in Zurich you just gaze in awe at the city. Then you start to want to burrow in and find its secrets. I have to say, it doesn’t give them up easily, but the ‘garden restaurant’ is an absolute find. “Gartenwirtschaft” is along a narrow alley just off the Neumarkt. It’s completely hidden away and offers a haven from the city for coffee, or a meal.
4. Meeting People Takes Effort
It takes a while to find a social life in Zurich. If you’re not careful you can end up just socialising with other expats and that’s hardly experiencing the city. The Swiss are naturally reserved, so have to make the effort. I’ve started learning German – which makes a big difference, and I use Meet Up to find people with similar interests. I’ve also started volunteering which has massively increased my number of Swiss contacts.
Schepens provides Removals to Switzerland
Schepens is one of the UK’s leading providers of removals to towns and cities across Switzerland. We’re a 4th generation, family-run business with over a century of experience offering stress-free European removals. Our regular trips to the country means that we’re able to offer clients flexible scheduling on their moves, and the choice of either full or part loads.
Tailored Removals to Zurich
No matter how many times you’ve moved, relocating to a new country is always a unique experience. That’s why Schepens doesn’t offer a standard removals package. Instead, we allocate a professional Move Co-ordinator to each client. They will work with you to develop a tailored removals plan, based on your specific requirements. Your bespoke plan will then become the basis of our FREE no obligation removals quote.
Schepens removals services include:
- Professional Packing Services. Our industry trained removals team can pack up your home, label your boxes and provide a detailed shipping inventory.
- Insurance. Your goods will be insured during transit. If you would like additional Accidental Damage, or Extended Liability insurance, your Move Co-ordinator can arrange this.
- Non-Standard Goods. Need to move a piano to Zurich? Or maybe an artwork? Schepens are specialists in this area. We provide bespoke packaging, handling and shipping.
- Self Storage. If you’re looking to store furniture or goods in the UK, whilst you’re working in Zurich, Schepens has a number of local self storage facilities. We provide door-to-door service, and a secure, climate-controlled environment.
- Transport. Your goods will be shipped in one of our state-of-the-art removals vehicles which maintain a constant temperature and humidity, run on air ride suspension and boast an adjustable bearing system, which ensures little or no movement of vehicle content.
Second-to-None Customer Service
Schepens takes pride in the reputation we’ve built for excellent customer service. This doesn’t mean that we’ve stopped looking for improvements we could make, though! Every Schepens employee is trained to industry standards. Which means that they’re all professionals who are confident in their ability to proactively problem-solve, and always willing to ‘go the extra mile’ for customers.
“Our container arrived just a few hours before we did and after unpacking everything we are delighted to report that there were absolutely no breakages whatsoever! Thank you so much for packing it so expertly. Your expertise made the whole process very easy for us and we will have no hesitation in recommending your services to anyone who needs to move belongings abroad. Thank you once again for all your help.”
– Simon Biag