Moving to Portsmouth | Portsmouth Removals | Relocating to Portsmouth
Living in Portsmouth
Portsmouth is a city beloved of sailors, authors and – in the 21st century – shoppers! Charles Dickens was born in Portsmouth, and immortalised it in his classic David Copperfield. The port itself dates back to the Roman occupation, and their original fortification still stands guard over the natural harbour. Today visitors to the city can enjoy soaking up the history, enjoying literary tours, and shopping in the impressive Gunwharf Quays.
Schepens has been helping families to move to Portsmouth for over a century now. We love this ancient, sea-salted city and thoroughly enjoy having the opportunity to work there. To find out what living in Portsmouth is like, we asked some of our clients who’re now settled in the city. These are some of their responses:
1. Forget the Bad Things You Hear
Portsmouth tends to get a bad rap when compared to Southampton just 20 miles to the west. I’ve been living in Portsmouth for around 18 months now, and I have to say that I’ve loved every moment. It’s a friendly, open and exciting place to be. The redevelopment of the old navy buildings to create the Gunwharf Quays has transformed the Waterfront. There’s a real buzz to the place and now I wouldn’t move away.
2. Take a Trip to Albert Road for Independent Heaven
Albert Road is definitely my favourite place in Portsmouth. If you like spending a morning rifling through vintage frocks, second-hand bookshops, and curios this will be heaven for you, too. It’s also home to independent coffee shops, bars, eateries, a theatre and a number of music venues. It’s not a particularly good-looking location, but it’s full of energy and atmosphere.
3. It’s a City for Lovers of the Sea
Whether you want to swim in it, cross it, photograph it, ski on it or dive into it – the sea in Portsmouth is something to be celebrated. You can feel the way the sea has shaped this city in every nook and cranny. And then there’s the ships. This remains a massive port, and home to the Royal Navy, as well as housing some of our most impressive historic ships. You couldn’t get closer to our seafaring character than in Portsmouth.
4. A Great Place for Music
There’s great music venues across the city, including the Wedgewood Rooms, the King’s Theatre and the Pyramid. Then there’s the Victorious Festival at the end of August each year. This always has a great line up and a whole range of events on the seafront. For 3 days the promenade is given over to stalls, stages and bars – with the sea as a beautiful backdrop.
Schepens Provides Removals to Hampshire
Schepens is a 4th generation, family-run moving company with over 100 years’ experience of moving families to locations across Hampshire. We’re local to the area and many of our removals employees are from Portsmouth and surrounds. So, if you need info on schools, traffic or best times of the day to move, all you have to do is ask.
Tailored Moves to Portsmouth
Throughout all our years of experience, we’ve never yet encountered a ‘standard’ move. Which is why we don’t offer ‘standard packages’. Instead, we allocate a professional Move Co-ordinator to every client. They’ll work with you to develop a tailored removals plan, based on your specific requirements.
Schepens’ removals services include:
- Professional Packing Services. Our professional removals teams can pack up your home, label your boxes and create a detailed room-by-room inventory.
- Insurance. Your goods will be insured during transit. If you’d like additional Accidental Damage or Extended Liability insurance, we can provide cover.
- Non-Standard Goods. Need to move a piano, or a fragile artwork? Schepens can provide bespoke packing, handling and removals.
- Self Storage. If you need to store furniture, or goods, as part of your move, Schepens has a number of local self storage depots across Hampshire. We provide door-to-door service, and a secure, climate-controlled environment.
- Transport. Your goods will be shipped in one of our state-of-the-art removals vehicles which maintain a constant temperature and humidity, run on air ride suspension and boast an adjustable bearing system, which ensures little or no movement of vehicle content.
Second-to-None Customer Services
Schepens takes pride in the reputation we’ve grown for providing stress-free removals for movers across the UK. Much of the credit for this goes to our wonderful removals teams. We ensure that every employee is trained to industry standards. This gives them the confidence to be proactive problem solvers, and to look out for opportunities to go the extra mile to help customers out.
“I wish to express my appreciation for the efficient and smooth handling of our furniture and personal effects yesterday. Your staff were friendly, very pleasant and extremely helpful. In spite of having to take everything to the second floor, they kept going without a break and everything was placed on its correct place exactly as I wanted. Well done, we are delighted with your service.”