Removals To Belgium | European Removals
Living in Ghent
For decades Ghent was overshadowed by Bruges and Brussels. But the 21st century has seen the city emerge to take its place as one of Belgium’s most exciting places to live. The reason for its pheonix-like resurgence has been the creative way in which it’s re-imagined itself from the edges rather than the centre. Bars, clubs and independent shops now jostle with the city’s more traditional elements to make this a young and diverse location to live in.
Schepens has been providing European removals to Belgium for over a century now, and it’s been fascinating to see Ghent emerge as a creative and cultural force to be reckoned with. We asked some of our clients who now live there, to tell us about their experience of the city.
1. The Waterside Culture is Great
The canal side streets are lovely to wander along, but they’re also the most popular meeting place in the city. There’s a bar, cafe or restaurant for every occasion, and you’ll find people sitting on the pavement with a drink, simply enjoying the city vibe. For the first time, in 2019, there was a free waterfront festival in October with the aim of introducing new and innovative bands to a wider audience.
2. Carry Cash With You
The culture is slowly changing, but when I first arrived in Ghent it was impossible to pay for a round of drinks by card. As a result I’ve got used to carrying cash, as do most people I know. It’s also the case that restaurants don’t like having to split the bill if it involves using separate cards. Oh, and you still have to enter your PIN everywhere – even if your payment is contactless.
3. Explore the Pasterhol Quarter
Pasterhol is the medieval heart of Ghent. It sits under the watchful presence of the Castle of the Counts and it’s my favourite place in the city. Narrow cobbled streets form a kind a labyrinth in which you can lose yourself for hours. The quarter rewards your curiosity by delivering independent art galleries, unusual places to eat, and the ‘Temmerman’, Ghent’s oldest confectioner.
4. It’s a City With Green Aspirations
As of 2009, Thursday became ‘Veggie Day’ in Ghent. It’s not just a stunt, hundreds of the city’s restaurants and cafes serve only vegetarian, or vegan, meals on Thursdays, and there’s a popular map to help you locate them. This move kick started a commitment to a greener way of life which is tangible in the city. Bikes now rule the roads pretty much, and there are numerous markets, and shops celebrating a healthier lifestyle.
“We wanted to say that it has been a pleasure dealing with Schepens from start to finish! Everyone has been so helpful, and certainly made the move less stressful.”
Schepens Provides Removals to Ghent
The Schepens family comes from Belgium. We travelled to England in the early 20th century and we’ve lived and worked here ever since. For more than a century, we’ve been providing European removals to Belgium including all the major towns and cities. We ship regularly to Ghent which means that we’re able to offer flexible scheduling for clients, and the option of full or part loads.
Tailored Removals to Belgium
Throughout the years that we’ve been providing removals, we’ve never yet encountered a ‘standard’ move. So we long ago jettisoned the idea of ‘standard’ removals to Belgium. Instead, Schepens allocates a professional Move Co-ordinator to every client. They will work with you to develop a removals plan tailored to your specific requirement. The resulting plan will form the basis of your FREE no obligation quote.
Schepens provides a range of removals services which include:
- Professional Packing Services. If you require your house packed up, your boxes labelled and a detailed shipping inventory created, we can provide a professional packing team.
- Insurance. Your goods will be insured whilst in transit. Should you require additional Accidental Damage, or Extended Liability, cover, we can arrange it for you.
- Non-Standard Goods. We’ve moved pianos, antiques and fine art pieces across the world for clients. Our service includes bespoke packaging, handling and transport.
- UK Storage. If you need to put furniture or household items in storage, Schepens has local facilities. We provide door-to-door service and a secure, climate controlled environment.
- Transport. Your goods will be shipped in one of our state-of-the-art removals vehicles which maintain a constant temperature and humidity, run on air ride suspension and boast an adjustable bearing system, which ensures little or no movement of vehicle content.
Clients Come First For Schepens Removals
Our aim has always been to provide ‘stress-free removals’ for our clients, whether we’re moving them within the UK, to Europe, or across the world. In order to achieve this, we train every single employee to the highest industry standards, and reward a proactive approach to problem solving. Oh, and most important of all, we’re always willing to go the extra mile for our clients.