Removals to the Norway | Life in Norway
5 Things No-one Tells You About Living and Working in Norway
There are some things you can only know about a country once you’ve lived there for a while. We all know about Norway’s fjords, spectacular landscapes, and amazing Northern Lights, but what about the day-to-day stuff that creeps up on you as you become part of the culture?
Schepens has been providing removals to Norway for over a century now. We’ve helped families, professionals, and students to relocate during that time, and many of them are now settled there. We asked them to let us in on the things no-one tells you about living and working in Norway.
1. You’ll Get Bored
Sounds like a negative, but really it isn’t. The pace of life is slower in Norway, and there’s less distractions. So, you’ll feel a bit edgy, then you’ll get bored, then you’ll start to relax. That’s how it seems to work with newcomers.
2. You’ll Pick Berries
After the long winter comes the sun – and berries! From June through to September there’s a feast of berries – strawberries, cloudberries, blueberries, raspberries. You’ll pick them (they’re everywhere) and they’ll taste better than any berries you’ve ever had.
3. You’ll Have Matpakke for Lunch
Wherever you work in Norway you’ll only get 30 minutes for lunch, but you get to go home earlier! The matpakke is made up of 3 or 4 slices of bread with thin slices of cheese or paté in-between. Everyone eats it for lunch, with tea or coffee. It’s dull but comforting – like toast in the UK.
4. You’ll Be Homesick
However much you love Norway, landing in a new culture will make you feel odd, an outsider. After a 6-week honeymoon period I suddenly plunged and just wanted to go home. Then it passed, and the next time it wasn’t so bad. Now I just go for a hike and it’s cured.
5. You’ll Feel Guilty About Leaving Work Early
My employer was happy for me to leave early in the afternoon so I could pick my son up from school. Dream come true for me, except I felt so guilty. I’d gather up my stuff really quietly and creep out, like I was a criminal. Eventually my boss marched me out, shouting to everyone that I was escaping. There was much laughter and it broke the spell.
Schepens Provides Stress-Free Scandinavian Removals
We’re a family-run business that’s been relocating people to Norway, Sweden and Denmark for more than 100 years. This long association means that we know how to take the stress out of removals to Norway. The fact that we make weekly runs to locations across the country also means that we can offer flexible scheduling, affordable prices and full or part load shipping.
Tailored Removals From Schepens
Whether you’re moving to Norway for work, studies or family, removals can be a logistical challenge. At Schepens our dedicated move co-ordinators create a bespoke removals schedule for each mover, based on their specific requirements. They’re available to help and support you at every stage of your move.
Schepens removals services include:
- Free No Obligation Removals Quote. Once we know the details of your move, we’ll provide an accurate removals quotation to help you with your budgeting.
- Insurance. Your goods will be covered whilst in transit. If you require additional insurance (Extended Liability, Accidental Damage), we can arrange cover.
- Customs Experts. We’re experienced at dealing with customs matters and know the rules and regulations associated with relocating to Norway.
- Professional Packing Service. Dread packing? Leave it to our BAR trained packers. They’ll complete the job in hours, using sturdy, sustainable packing materials.
- Specialist Removals. Whatever you plan to move to Norway, we can help. Our specialist team have experience of moving pianos, art, and antiques overseas.
- Self Storage. If you require UK self storage, Schepens has a number of local storage facilities offering a secure, well-managed environment for your goods.
- Transport. Your goods are transported in one of our state-of-the-art removals vehicles which run on air ride suspension and boast an adjustable bearing system, ensuring little or no movement of vehicle content.
A Removals Team That Goes The Extra Mile
“I have moved 8 times in the last 16 years and used all sorts of companies – Schepens are the best bar none. All of the team that we dealt with were professional and caring for our belongings. Would definitely use them again.”