Moving to Sweden | Removals Sweden
5 Unwritten Rules that Define Life in Sweden
When you move to another country it always takes a while to feel like you ‘fit in’. But what does fitting in mean? Often, it’s about the unwritten rules that inhabitants know, agree to abide by, and consider important. Not knowing them defines you as an outsider but sorting out exactly what they are can be tricky.
Schepens has been providing removals to Sweden for over 100 years now, but we’re UK based so we still don’t know all the unwritten rules that defines life in Sweden. We turned to our movers for enlightenment; what were the rules they had to learn before they felt like insiders?
1. Keep Your Distance
Swedes have great respect for each person’s right to privacy and individual space. Those queues at the bus stop that were social distanced before social distancing was a thing – they’re about giving people their own space. Younger Swedes are happy to hug, but it’s not a given; you need to read the signals before lunging!
2. Stay Home if You’re Ill
Back in the UK – prior to the pandemic – it was considered ‘weak’ somehow to take time off work for being ill. Maybe that’s changed now, but in Sweden the opposite is true. Someone staggering into the office, sneezing over colleagues, is seen as inconsiderate and unthinking. The rule is to stay home if you feel ill – and, of course, generous sick pay helps with this.
3. Value the Time of Others
I was going to say ‘punctuality’ but that sounds a bit bureaucratic. Life in Sweden is dependent upon consideration for others, and one of the ways to show this is by turning up at exactly the time you‘ve been invited. And being early is as bad as being late. If you book a restaurant table, but can’t make it, you always ring the restaurant, so business isn’t lost.
4. Let People Get Off First
The tube at rush hour must be hell for Swedish visitors. In Sweden there is a really strong unwritten rule that you wait for people to get off the train or bus before trying to get on. The same rule applies with any doorway, whether it’s a meeting room, café, or public toilets; the people coming out have absolute priority and they shouldn’t be rushed.
5. Don’t Boast
It seems that every culture has a different attitude to showing off your status. In the UK we have a love affair with designer brands that seems to leave Swedes cold. Instead, they lean into a shared aspiration for a nice home, a good car, and a comfortable life that revolves around family and friends. There is a clear avoidance of competition, which removes a good deal of stress in social relations.
Stress Free Removals to Sweden From Schepens
We’re a family-run removals company – now in our 4th generation – and Scandinavian removals have been our specialism for over a century. As a result, we know how to remove the stress for movers to Sweden, Norway or Denmark, and we’ve gained a reputation for doing just that. Schepens makes weekly runs to Sweden, which means we can offer flexible scheduling, affordable prices and full or part load shipping.
Tailored Overseas Removals
Whether you’re moving to Sweden for work, or to study or join family, overseas removals can feel overwhelming at times. Schepens shares the load by allocating a move co-ordinator to each mover. They know the country well, and will create a bespoke removals plan, based on your specific requirements. They’ll also be available throughout for help and support.
Schepens removals services include:
- Free No Obligation Removals Quote. We’ll find out what your move consists of, and then we’ll provide a detailed and accurate removals quote to help with your budgeting.
- Insurance Cover. Your goods will be covered during transit. If you would like additional Accidental Damage or Extended Liability cover, we’ll arrange it for you.
- Customs Regulations. Schepens is very familiar with Swedish customs regulations. We can advise movers on the most efficient way to relocate to Sweden and deal with the necessary paperwork.
- Professional Packing Service. If you need help with packing, Schepens BAR trained packers will pack up your home in hours using sturdy, sustainable materials.
- Specialist Removals. We pride ourselves on being able to move anything at Schepens. Our specialist team are experienced movers of pianos, art, and antiques.
- Self Storage. If you require local storage in the UK, Schepens has a number of storage facilities offering a well-managed, secure environment for your goods.
- Transport. Your goods are transported in one of our state-of-the-art removals vehicles which run on air ride suspension and boast an adjustable bearing system, ensuring little or no movement of vehicle content.
A Removals Team That Goes the Extra Mile
“We moved from the UK to Sweden and went with Schepens on the hearty recommendations of an expats in Sweden Facebook group. Schepens met our every expectation, and were prompt, polite, efficient and courteous. Our daughter loved sitting in the truck cab! Thank you so much!!”