Expat’s Guide to Living in Sydney
Sydney Harbour is an iconic image, known the world over and represents a city that appears to effortlessly combine art, culture, sport and business. In 2019 Sydney was ranked 3rd in the Economist’s ‘most liveable cities’ index, losing out only to long-term rival Melbourne, and Vienna, for the top spots.
No wonder, then, that Sydney is such a popular choice for British expats. It’s considered to be the Australian city most like London, with the one thing London lacks – glorious sunny beaches. As an international commercial centre, Sydney provides excellent job opportunities for expats, as well as world-class food, shopping, landscapes and cultural attractions.
Schepens has been providing removals to Sydney for over a century now. We asked some of our clients to help us put together an expat’s guide to living in Sydney for those about to take the leap and relocate.
1. Brush Up on Your Aussie English
One of the major attractions of moving to Sydney, is that there’s no language barrier. Aussie English is very different from UK English though. First off, there’s regional accents; wherever you travel, people sound the same – just broader, or more refined. Second – it’s informal and playful, so people you meet will speak to you as though you’ve known them for years. The sooner you learn the quirks and intricacies of Aussie English, the sooner you’ll feel like part of the family.
2. Getting Around Sydney
If you work in Sydney’s commercial centre, you’re probably in for a lengthy commute. As rent prices have shot up, commuters have moved further out of the city centre to find better deals. Quick tip – use public transport. Only 12% of Sydneysiders do, which means it’s super-efficient and not too crowded. You can get a travel card called Opal – like to Oyster card – which is much cheaper than buying individual tickets.
3. What to Pack
One of the things Brits love about moving to Sydney is that they don’t have to reinvent their wardrobe to move there. Maybe you can ditch the snow boots and thermals, but that’s about it. The winters tend to be cool, but pleasant and the summers are hot, very hot – made manageable by the breeze off the sea. There’s four distinct seasons to enjoy and – on balance – pretty much every day has its share of sun.
4. Prepare for London Prices
Sydney is pretty much on a par with London when it comes to living expenses. Sydney is known as ‘The Emerald City’ because it attracts people working in the tech science and IT fields, so whether you’re renting or buying, the prices are high. Setting aside the property prices, Sydney prices are pretty steep for clothing, food and basic essentials. If you’re not a Londoner, it’s worth working out your budget before deciding where you’ll live.
5. An Outdoor Life
We’ve all heard of Bondi beach, but Sydney has no less than 14 beautiful beaches to enjoy. Whether you like rocks to clamber over, sunbathing in the nude, or enjoying the perfect golden sands, there’s a beach that’s perfect for you. So it’s no wonder that much of Sydney life is out-of-doors, and often on the beach. After all, the barbecue is the Australian version of the Sunday roast!
Schepens Provides Removals to Australia
With over 100 years’ experience moving families to Australia, Schepens is now a leading UK company for international removals. Our goal has always been ‘anxiety free removals’ and we have built ourselves quite a reputation for just that. Because we travel regularly to Australia, we’re able to offer flexible scheduling, and part or full load containers for shipping.
Tailored Removals to Sydney
Despite the many similarities to Britain, as outlined in our expat’s guide to living in Sydney, there are also huge adjustments to be made. Moving to Australia is a massive project, and one for which you need expert support. We know that every move is unique, which is why we provide tailored removals to Sydney.
All our clients are allocated a professional Move Co-ordinator, who will help to create a bespoke removals plan specific to your requirements. Once complete, it will become the basis of your FREE no obligation quote.
Schepens removals services include:
- Professional Packing Services. Our industry-trained team can pack up your home, label your boxes and create a detailed shipping itinerary.
- Insurance. All shipped items are insured whilst in transit. For clients requiring additional Accidental Damage, or Extended Liability cover, this can be arranged.
- Non-Standard Shipping. Got a piano to ship to Sydney, or a fragile piece of fine art? No worries. Schepens specialise in bespoke shipping, and will provide the very best of care.
- Self Storage. If you need to store goods in the UK, Schepens has a number of local storage facilities. Schepens Self Storage offer a door-to-door service and a secure environment.
- Transport. Your goods will be shipped in one of our state-of-the-art removals vehicles which run on air ride suspension and boast an adjustable bearing system, which ensures little or no movement of vehicle content.
- 1st Class Customer Service. Every single Schepens employee is trained to industry standards. We provide proactive professionals who are always willing to ‘go the extra mile’ for customers.
“I’d just like to thanks Schepens for the excellent service provided during a complex move and, in particular, to recognise the superb performance of your staff. To a man they were hard working, tidy and cheerful and nothing was too much trouble for them.”