Life in Denmark | Removals to Denmark
The Danish Lifestyle – A Recipe for Happiness
It’s quite extraordinary that a country with long, dark winters, year long rain, and scant sunshine even in the summer, features regularly in the top ten happiest countries listings. Over the years, Schepens has helped families, professional and students with removals to Denmark and many of our movers have decided to make their home there. We asked them what it was about the Danish lifestyle that attracted them.
1. Family Time
Back in the UK, family was really important, but we always had to fit it in around the edges of work. In Denmark the family is as important as work. Parents get 52 weeks parental leave – which they can share however they want. Spending time with family is considered cool, especially over the winter, and there’s an emphasis on simple pleasures, like sitting down together to eat.
I thought I knew all about hygge when I arrived in Denmark, but I only knew about the commodified version. In fact, hygge is a recipe for happiness in the home. Instead of constantly going out to find happiness, you create your perfect environment for tranquillity in your home. It takes time to achieve if you’re dependent, like me, on shopping binges for your happiness, but it’s much healthier.
3. Being Kind to Yourself
The Danish lifestyle focuses on being kind to yourself, which is different from indulging yourself. Take the work culture; hours are humane (8-4), and the macho competitive edge doesn’t get a look in. People work efficiently, in a focused way, and take regular breaks away from their desks. In Denmark people tend to believe that if you’re nice to yourself, you’re also nicer to others.
4. A Safe Space
I can honestly say that I’ve never felt so safe as I do living and working in Copenhagen. It’s hard to pin down where this sense of security comes from; it’s certainly not due to a heavy police presence! When I talk to Danes about it, they say that it’s because they trust each other, and maybe that’s the case. Everyone breathes easier and perhaps this generates a sense of security.
Stress-Free Removals to Denmark
Whilst Schepens is a UK based removals company, we find ourselves closely aligned with the Danish lifestyle on a number of counts. Our priority when working on overseas removals, is to dial down movers’ anxiety by providing guidance, expertise, and logistical help wherever we can. We make weekly runs to Denmark, have a detailed understanding of their customs regulations, and work hard to keep our prices affordable.
Take a look at our ‘Moving to Denmark From the UK Guide’ to find out all about preparing for removals overseas, and then settling in to the Danish lifestyle once you’re there.
Tailored Scandinavian Removals
Moving to a Scandinavian country can feel like a step into the unknown. That’s why we allocate everyone relocating to Denmark a move co-ordinator who knows their destination well and can provide guidance every step of the way. They will also create a bespoke removals plan for you, based on your specific requirements.
Schepens offers a range of removals services which include:
- Free No Obligation Removals Quote. As soon as we know the details of your move, we’ll provide an accurate quote to help with your budgeting.
- Insurance. Your goods will be insured whilst in transit. If you would like additional Accidental Damage or Extended Liability insurance, we can arrange cover for you.
- Customs Paperwork. We know the Danish customs regulations. We can advise movers on the most efficient way to relocate to Denmark and deal with the necessary paperwork.
- Professional Packing Service. Save yourself the stress of packing by handing the job over to Schepens BAR trained packers. They’ll complete the task in hours using sturdy and sustainable packing materials.
- Specialist Removals. Whatever you want to take to Denmark, our specialist team can help. They have experience of moving pianos, art works and antiques overseas.
- Self Storage. Should you require storage in the UK, Schepens has a number of local storage facilities offering a safe and well-managed environment for your goods.
- Transport. Your goods are transported in one of our state-of-the-art removals vehicles which run on air ride suspension and boast an adjustable bearing system, ensuring little or no movement of vehicle content.
Removals That Go The Extra Mile
“Excellent service from start to finish with our move from Hampshire UK to Copenhagen DK. All went as planned and the staff were hardworking, helpful, courteous and efficient. Would definitely recommend”